Program will begin at 7:30 PM
HarlemRoad Community Center, 4255 Harlem Road
Members: Free, Non-members: $5.00 donation
STAINED GLASS IN WESTERN NEW YORK’S POLISH PARISHES
PRESENTER: Gregory Witul
In his presentation, Gregory Witul will give a brief history of the stained glass medium and highlight some of the better known artists in the field with an emphasis on Buffalo stained glass artist Joseph Mazur. Parishes featured in the program will include: St. Stanislaus, Corpus Christi, Transfiguration and St. Florian in Buffalo, St. Barbara in Lackawanna and Holy Trinity in Niagara Falls.
Gregory Witul is a fifth generation Polish American with a long-standing interest in Polish American History and Art History and the intersection of the two fields of study. He began documenting the stained glass windows of Buffalo’s churches while a student at the University of Buffalo. In 2007 he was named as Citizen of the Year for Heritage by the Am-Pol Eagle for his discovery and coordination of the return of the Marie Curie stained glass medallion to the University of Buffalo’s Polish Room.
Jozef C. Mazur was born on March 17, 1897, in Buffalo's Polish east side and baptized at St. Adalbert's Basilica.
In Masten Park High School Jozef excelled in his study of art, so much so that after his graduation he received an apprenticeship at a stained glass studio. After serving in World War I, he earned a scholarship for Buffalo (Albright) Arts School and then attended the Art Students League of New York.
Upon his return to Buffalo in 1925, Mazur received one of the most important commissions of his career: the redecoration of St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Church, the Mother Church of Polonia.
Over the next twenty years he decorated such churches as, St. Adalbert's Basilica, Holy Mother of the Rosary Cathedral, and Transfiguration Church.
His most famous secular work from this time would be the bust of Chopin in front of Kleinhans Music Hall.
Starting in the early 1950's Mazur created stained glass windows for St. Rita and St. Margaret in Buffalo and Our Lady of Czestochowa in North Tonawanda.
In 1955, he decorated the University at Buffalo's Polish Room. Jozef and his wife, Stefa, donated a stained glass lamp depicting Chopin, Mickiewicz, Paderewski, and Slowacki to the University. They also included four stained glass medallions portraying Marie Curie Sklodowska, Nicolaus Copernicus, and two other famous Poles. [See Marie Curie Medallion Returns to UB Polish Collection By Way of eBay.]
By the time, Mazur completed his last stained glass commission in 1960 for SS. Peter & Paul in Hamburg his health was in decline.
After a long illness, Jozef Mazur passed away on April 23, 1970.
Maggie Flemming, Versatile Artist Allentown newsletter article, including photograph
Other art forms:
- Marie Curie Medallion Returns to UB Polish Collection By Way of eBay Lockwood Memorial Library interior of the Polish Collection Room in the original Lockwood Memorial Library (now Abbott Hall) on the UB South (Main Street) Campus. In 1955, Mazur created four hangings to celebrate important Polish cultural figures, among them, Copernicus and Curie, and donated them to the collection.
A social hour with refreshments will follow
More Information: Chuck Peszynski (716) 631-3717